Australian Embassy

Services for Australians

Services for Australians Overseas

Travel information for Australians

Get the latest travel advisories and other traveller hints from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Passports Services

How to apply for an Australian Passport when in Ireland

Useful information 

Getting married in Ireland

An Australian citizen looking to get married in Ireland will be asked to prove that they are not currently legally married. The marriage celebrant will advise what proof is required.

Some registrars will require an original birth certificate with an "apostille" affixed to it. As of 1 July 2015, this service is now provided at overseas missions. For information on how to apply please click here.

Before the married name is accepted for inclusion into an Australian passport and if either spouse wishes to change their name (and they were born in Australia) they will need to apply for a Name Change Certificate with the Australian Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state they were born.



Important changes to Smartraveller are coming. Our new Smartraveller website will be launched in November. It will include a simpler system for getting travel advice updates and a new approach to registration.

Travellers have told us what they want most from Smartraveller is timely travel advice.  We’ve listened, and we’re working on a subscription service that will deliver the latest updates to your inbox and SMS critical alerts in a crisis.

As part of the update we no longer ask Australians to register their travel before departure.  

From November, Smartraveller’s registration system will activate only when there’s a crisis overseas.  

The service we provide to Australians in difficulty overseas is not changing. 

You’re still welcome to register your travel with Smartraveller until November.  

As always, we encourage Australians overseas to stay in touch with friends and family and let them know you’re safe.

If you need immediate assistance, you can call the Consular Emergency Centre on +61 2 6261 3305 from overseas or 1300 555 135 from within Australia.

For more information on the changes, visit

Former residents

A gateway to information about Australian benefits, payments and services 

Returning to Australia

Handy information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia.

Taking cats and dogs to Australia

For more information on Biosecurity matters, including what you can and cannot take to Australia please click here.

Frequently asked questions

I have dual Irish/Australian nationality, but have not obtained an Australian passport. Can I travel back to Australia on my Irish passport?

No. By law Australian citizens must use their Australian passport to enter Australia. See above for information on how to apply for an Australian passport.

How can I get a police clearance for the time I spent in Ireland?

To obtain a police clearance for any period of time you spent in Ireland you need to apply to Irish Gardai. Click here for contact details.

How can I contact Centrelink or Services Australia?

Services Australia has established a toll-free number for calls originating in Ireland: 1800 200 333.  Call charges do not apply. 

How do I renew my Australian driving licence?

A drivers licence exchange operates between Ireland and States and Territories in Australia. This allows a person who holds an Australian driving licence and who is resident in Ireland to surrender the Australian licence and be granted an equivalent Irish licence in exchange without undergoing a driving test. All surrendered licences are sent back to the relevant Australian motor vehicle registry.

The control of drivers' licensing within Australia is vested in the State and Territory authorities. You should direct your enquiry to the road traffic authority of the State or Territory which issued your licence. The Embassy does not extend, renew or replace any Australian State or Territory licence.

If you are required to have your signature witnessed and/or photograph certified, you may wish to have this done at the Embassy by a diplomatic or consular officer. A fee is payable (under the Consular Fees Act) in euros to the Embassy for each of these acts. Please note that these fees do not include the fee for your licence which is payable directly to the relevant State or Territory Road Traffic Authority in Australia and should accompany your application. You should bring your passport and licence to the Embassy. It is your responsibility to forward the application to Australia.

How do I get an Australian Tax Pack?

Tax Packs can be downloaded from the Australian Taxation Office website.

What health cover does Ireland provide under the Australia-Ireland health agreement?

Australian visitors in Ireland will receive emergency public hospital treatment subject to the charges which apply to persons ordinarily resident in Ireland who are non medical card holders. They will also be eligible for assistance towards the cost of prescribed drugs once they are over a certain amount on the same basis as persons ordinarily resident in Ireland. For further information see the Department of Health and Children or call (within Ireland) 01 6352000 and ask for the overseas section.