Australian Embassy

Notarial Services

Notarial Services


Booking an Appointment

We offer notarial service by appointment in person only, Monday to Friday between 14.00 – 16.00.  You can book an appointment using our online booking system.

We accept payment by credit or debit card only. Please note, we do not accept American Express.

The full range of notarial services provided by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade are listed here:


Affadavits (Affirmations or Oaths)

At the Embassy, only a diplomatic officer can assist with the affidavit. It must be done in person, so you must book an appointment.

An Affidavit is a written statement that allows the person making it (the 'deponent') to present evidence in court or other legal proceedings. The person making the affidavit must take an oath (religious), or make an affirmation (non-religious), that the contents of the affidavit are true and correct. Generally, it is an offence to swear or affirm to false information. The consular officer's role is to witness the affidavit and administer the oath/affirmation. The precise form of an affidavit is dictated by the Commonwealth, state or territory legislation under which the affidavit is made or the proceedings in which the evidence contained in it is to be relied on.

An affidavit that has not been drawn up correctly may not be effective. It is your responsibility to provide the document in the correct form and any additional witnessing/administering instructions.

We take no responsibility for the correctness of the form of an affidavit. If you are unclear about the form that the document should take, please seek professional legal advice.



The Australian Embassy in Dublin can issue an Apostille on Australian Government documents to be accepted in a country which is a signatory to the Apostille Convention (1961 Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalisation of Foreign Public Documents).
Documents being sent to countries not signatories to the convention may be issued with an Authentication.
List of members and non-members of the Apostille Convention.

The standard certificate or report must hold a verifiable signature/seal.

Documents that cannot be issued with an Apostille:

 - Photocopies of original Australian Government documents cannot be authenticated or apostilled unless they have been notarised as a ‘true copy’ by an Australian Public Notary within Australia.
 - Laminated or damaged documents cannot be accepted for authentication or apostille. You must obtain a replacement from the issuing authority.
 - Commemorative certificates are not government documents.


Certified Copies

Certifying copies of original documents is one of the most regular notarial services provided. In order for us certify the documents you require, please read the application form/instructions carefully to learn who can act as the certifying officer.

Please confirm whether it is a Consular officer (authorised under the Consular Fees Act 1955) or an Australian Diplomatic officer (authorised under the Oaths Act 1900). If we are authorised to assist, we can certify the copies for you.



For information on getting married overseas and how DFAT can help, please see the relevant pages of the Smartraveller website, which provides instructions on commonly requested notarial services, such as Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage and Apostilles:

The Australian Attorney-General's department also provides information and relevant application forms for getting married - both in Australia and overseas: 

There are two types of documents which may be relevant when getting married - and you have to ask your marriage celebrant and the local municipality office which one is required.


Single Status cerificate (or No Record or Marriage)

This certificate is issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM) in the applicant's home state in Australia and is only available to Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents. The certificate will provide evidence that you are single. There is a fee involved, but you can apply online. Please note that if you have lived in several countries, you may be requested to provide single status certificates from more countries.

Links to Registries of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Australia


Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI)

In order to apply for a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage, you must lodge the application in person at the Australian Embassy in Dublin.  The certificate does not state that a person is single, but only that - provided you have made a truthful statement on the application - there are no laws prohibiting an Australian national marrying in the country where you want to marry. We conduct no verifying checks in relation to issuing the certificate and this is clearly stated on the certificate as well.

Application: Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage

Both parties to the marriage must fill in their details and the person lodging the application must have their signature witnessed by an authorised witness in Australia or a consular officer at an Australian Embassy.

If either person has been married previously, original divorce or death certificates must be submitted before a certificate will be issued.


Notice of Intended Marriage

If you are getting married in Australia, you may be required to submit a Notice of Intended Marriage form to the marriage celebrant.
A consular officer can witness your signatures on the form but you must book an appointment.


Selling or buying property in Australia

When engaging in a property transaction in Australia, there are some elements, which you must be aware of and they are outlined in detail on the Smartraveller website:

Consular staff at the Embassy can assist you.  At the time of the interview, you must provide the instructions from your legal representative in Australia - in addition to the original documents you need witnessed or certified.
Your conveyancer can email us those instructions directly, or you can print out the instructions and bring them with you if you have already received them.


Witnessing Signatures

In order for Embassy officer to witness your signature please read the forms carefully and verify who can be witnessing officer. Embassy Consular or Diplomatic officers are authorised under the Oaths Act 1900, Consular Fees Act 1955 or Statutory Declarations Act of 1959.

If these professions are not listed as authorised officers to witness your signature, you may want to contact the office, which will be receiving your documents and confirm that you are overseas and do not have access to the same range of authorised officers as in Australia.

To have your signature witnessed, you must book an appointment.



Please ensure that documents relating to the notarial services you require from the Australian Embassy, are presented in the correct form and that you provide the correct instructions for the notarial service you require. If you are unsure of the legislative requirements relating to the notarial service you require, you should seek independent legal advice. Please note that neither the Australian Government nor the Australian Embassy/High Commission/Consulate in Post/Country guarantees the legal effectiveness of the notarised document or the accuracy of its content. Fees paid for notarial services are non-refundable.

Fees apply for all notarial and legal services. Fees for notarial and legal services are set under Australian legislation.  The consular fees are reviewed monthly and may be adjusted due to variations in exchange rate to the Australian dollar.


Useful Information

Taxation issues: Australian Tax Office

Birth, death and marriage certificates: Births, deaths and marriages registries

National Police Checks: Australian Federal Police

Information on benefits, payments and services for former residents: Department of Human Services

Elections (enrolment and information for overseas voters): Australian Electoral Commission

Tourist Refund Scheme: Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Australian Citizenship information: Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection